
Neymar Recalled, What About Lorch For Bafana?
Bafana Bafana legendary striker Shaun Bartlett has opened up on surprise selections that can add value to the squad ahead of the much-anticipated announcement for the 2026 FIFA World…
Bafana Bafana legendary striker Shaun Bartlett has opened up on surprise selections that can add value to the squad ahead of the much-anticipated announcement for the 2026 FIFA World Cup.
Bafana head coach Hugo Broos is expected to announce his final 26-man squad for the World Cup on 27 May at the Union Buildings.
Speaking exclusively to Soccer Laduma, Bartlett opened up about South Africa's chances of advancing from Group A, which starts on June 11 against hosts Mexico.
Check Out: Yeye's First Season Achievement In Botswana
"I think it's fifty-fifty, now that we can also end in third place (and still qualify for the knockout stages). But I don't think we're in the easiest groups, opening game, already playing the hosts, will be tough, and we have to deal with the Czech Republic and South Korea," Bartlett said.
"Czech Republic is very physical, and South Korea, you know, their tactical ability and fitness, hopefully we put a good squad together that can compete."
Broos previously stated that he already knew about seventy percent of the squad he is going to pick for the global tournament months prior, and the Siya crew asked the former Charlton Athletic striker what are the other names that were not part of the last camp that the Belgian can't afford to leave behind are.
"I think one that obviously comes to mind is the South African top goal-scorer at the moment, Iqraam Rayners. He's a different type of striker to Lyle (Foster) and Evidence (Makgopa). I think it was quite clear in the two friendlies against Panama that we needed a different type of a striker to be part of the squad," Bartlett responded.
"We can't have two strikers that I believe are very much the same and it does not give us a different tactical approach."
Meanwhile, Brazil manager Carlo Ancelotti made a surprise selection in his 26-man squad, after including the nation's all-time leading goal-scorer Neymar in his final roster for the World Cup, even though the former Barcelona and Paris Saint-Germain forward has been struggling with injuries.
Ancelotti, who selected Neymar for the first time since being appointed in May 2025, stressed the importance of the experience and confidence the decorated 34-year-old would bring to the squad, even though he might not be regularly in the line-up.
In the same breath, the crew asked the former Kaizer Chiefs striker if there is still room for Broos to include a player like Thembinkosi Lorch, who has been in good form since the 2025 FIFA Club World Cup for his former side Wydad Casablanca and currently for Al-Ittihad but has not had a chance for a return.
"I always say everything depends on getting regular game-time, confidence, and performances, and Hugo Broos has been loyal to a lot of players; he won't change many things, but I think certain players can add value, like a Lorch, like we've seen even with (Themba) Zwane in the last couple of games," Bartlett said.
"So those are the things they need to consider, it's not always what you bring, your qualities on the field, but also the confidence around the squad, to motivate other players to do better," the former Chiefs coach added.
Continue with Matchday Global
Source: Soccer Laduma
More stories

Juventus lower asking price for Cambiaso as Barcelona consider bid

Report: Comolli cancels Juventus meetings ahead of decisive Elkann talks

Bayern Munich 2026 retro kit leaks - and it’s another classy adidas stunner
